Tuesday, January 31, 2012

For the teetotaler: Seabreezer non alcoholic cocktail

 A non alcoholic drink that satisfies thirst and a sweet tooth.  It's a great summer time refreshment!

By Carolyn Roberson - Tuesday 15 Nov 2011
For the teetotaler: Seabreezer non alcoholic cocktail
Alcohol based beverages are numerous in number. Slo Gin Fizz, Tom Collins and White Russian, to name a few, can be ordered at any bar or made at home.

Although I’ve had my share of adult beverages, I just don’t understand the attraction of drinking alcohol. It literally makes me nauseated. And, I don’t like that “Buzz” feeling you get from drinking.
My grandmother, Nancy, wasn’t a drunk, or an alcoholic, but you knew she enjoyed a drink every now and then. During the Christmas season, she would bring home a bottle of Mogan David wine and we would cook the annual Lane cake.

First, she would have to taste the wine and then she would measure it out and add it to the icing. She would taste the icing only to say it needed a bit more, so she would pour herself, and the measuring cup some more. By the end of the night most of the Mogan David would be gone, and I never saw it again after the New Year until Christmas time once again.

Nancy was invited to the wedding of a co-worker and not being a driver, she asked me to take her to the wedding. I did, and she enjoyed the reception. She was so snockered by the end of the evening, I had to have help getting her to the car.

Another wedding Nancy, my mother and I attended had a flowing champagne fountain. Nancy parked herself at the fountain, put that cup on her finger, flipped it under the fountain, and would fill it full. By the end of that wedding she was so tipsy we practically had to drag her to the car. Nancy was a hoot.

Because of my mother’s family history of alcoholism, she never touched the stuff. However, in the end of her life, a diagnosis of cirrhosis of the liver came with doctor’s orders to drink red wine. She didn’t like the wine. And, for someone who never drank alcoholic beverages, she was upset about that diagnosis.

Mother’s day 2006 provided us the opportunity to eat the buffet breakfast at the Officer’s Club at Randolph Air Force Base. My sister’s hubby is an officer in the US Air Force. Mother was given a glass of what she thought was orange juice, but it was a Mimosa, the champagne orange juice combination. She loved it, and before mid-morning, she was snockered. And, by that time in her life, and with the diagnosis, she didn’t care!

Sandra Lee, the budget friendly chef, always provides a cocktail on her TV shows. Unfortunately, they are alcoholic versions. I love fruity drinks and have been experimenting with my own versions.

One non-alcoholic drink I have developed came as the result of a trip to Tampa, Florida. Breakfast came with this drink called a Seabreezer. And, after experimenting, I think I have a close enough version to name it Seabreezer.

Seabreezer:

1 cup Fresca
½ cup Ocean Spray ruby red grapefruit juice (the restaurant used blood grapefruit juice & slices)
¼ cup orange juice
1 tbsp maraschino cherry juice
1 maraschino cherry

Serve with crushed ice and a straw! Yummy, and it’s non-alcoholic. My children LOVE these too!

No comments:

Post a Comment